The middle of the year can be tough – you’re right in the thick of major work projects, you may well be getting organised for EOFY and if you’re following this blog you’re likely to also be pursuing a bagload of other goals in fitness, health, family and home projects.
Your January goals are written out in your best sharpie brush cursive, but you don’t feel like taking a peak just right now. Because being half way through the year, you really want to be able to tick off on more than two. Maybe your hopes for your side-hustle have been a little dashed – despite late nights, testing out new web platforms, sponsorships, social advertising, and working your little heart out to genuinely offer your creativity to the world – no one really seems to be picking up what you’re putting down.
Added to that, no doubt the year has already thrown you a curveball or three to spice things up.
I am here to remind you (any myself) of two things. The first one is courtesy of Ariana Huffington.
“Failure is not the opposite of success, it’s part of it.”
The second one: how much do you stop and think about what you have achieved – even if these achievements are not listed in your original year plan. As for the things you haven’t crossed off, have you considered that perhaps they aren’t the right things: that maybe the goals need a tweak, not you?
Some questions to consider. I’ll be taking some time, and a chai with these, and I’d love you to join me if they resonate with you at all:
- What has been hands-down, the happiest moment or day of the last 6 months? What elements made it so awesome? E.g. who were you with, where were you, what was it about the vibe, atmosphere or location that made your lil’ heart happy? What can you do to recreate that feeling, even a little, every day?
- What has been your biggest achievement in 2017 so far – and how did you make that happen? Is there something about how you ticked this off that can be applied to the other things on the list?
- Who is someone who has really helped you this year – made you bend over double with laughter, was your first-to-dial when you had a day go super-pear or who just makes you feel like a more gleaming version of you? What’s a fun way you could surprise them with a thank you?
- What is a life project that you’ve taken on this year that you just aren’t feeling – a committee or board, networking group, personal project or even group gym environment that just feels ‘ick’ and not aligned? What would happen if you respectfully pulled out of this? Do the results really outweigh how the journey makes you feel?
- What surprising thing have you been absolutely loving this year? An element of your day job you never expected to? A style of exercise you never thought was for you because it’s too hardcore/not hardcore enough? Dig deep, what is it really about this thing that you adore , and how can you gather more of this into your life.
- What are you getting better at, slowly?
- What’s something about the world we live in that’s really getting at you all the time – the thing that riles you right up when you see it pop up in your feed or on the news? How can you start contributing in some small way to make this thing better?
- What is one decision you have made that has effected the most difference in your world this year, and what is another decision you know you need to make but have been avoiding?
- What are the things you have created for myself that you are most proud of this year? This could be as simple as a template email that’s saved you a heap of time, or a system in your home that has made after-hours life so much easier.
- What is one small thing you can do today to make the next 6 months better? e.g. pop in a regular calendar check, write that one really tricky email.
How did you go?
If you liked this article, please share it with someone you think might get a smile out of it too.
I would love to hear from you – if you feel comfy: is there one thing on this list that made you think ‘aha’?
Here’s to switching up the mid-year mood, focusing on the good, cleaning up some stuff that’s in the way and blinging up your vibes for the rest ’17.
Enjoy this post? Subscribe below for regular doses of fresh, colourful, inspiring content to your inbox.Subscribe